Clifton Hall

Description

Clifton Hall this 15th-century tower, the sole surviving part of the manor house of the Wybergh family, was plundered by Jacobites in 1745 before the Battle of Clifton Moor, the last battle fought on English soil. 

On the death of Eleanor, the sole Engaine heiress, in 1412 the house passed to her son from her first marriage to William Wybergh of St Bees, and thus became the property of the Wybergh family.

Free Entry. If you are looking for Best place for day out with kids and families then this is the perfect destination offering fun, adventure, and unforgettable memories for everyone.

Features

  • Paid
  • Host birthday parties: No

Features

  • History of Clifton Hall: The 15th-century pele tower is all that remains of the substantial medieval manor house of Clifton Hall. Demolished in the early19th century to make way for the existing farmhouse, the hall was constructed in the late 14th century by the Engaine family.
  • The Wybergh Family: On the death of Eleanor, the sole Engaine heiress, in 1412 the house passed to her son from her first marriage to William Wybergh of St Bees, and thus became the property of the Wybergh family.
  • Clifton Hall remained in the hands of the Wyberghs until the late 19th century, although their ownership came under threat in 1652 when Thomas Wybergh’s estates were ordered to be sold owing to his support for the Royalists in the Civil War.
  • His family were lucky enough to remain in their home, despite financial difficulties and a legal dispute over ownership of the remainder of the estate.
  • There was more trouble during the Jacobite risings: in 1715 William Wybergh was kidnapped by Scottish soldiers and, on 17 December 1745, the building was occupied and plundered shortly before the Battle of Clifton Moor, the last military engagement fought on English soil.
  • Destruction of the Manor House: However, it was practicality and convenience rather than warfare that eventually led to the destruction of Clifton manor house. By the early 1800s the H-plan building with its central hall range and two cross wings could no longer meet the domestic requirements of its inhabitants and it was pulled down. In 1819 Joseph Robinson wrote, ‘The Hall is now reduced to a solitary tower’.

Facilities

  • Parking: There is no parking available at the site. Parking is available in Clifton village where there is a small layby on the other side of the road next to the church. Please do not park at the gates to the site as this causes issues for the farm vehicles at work.  
  • Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome.

Birthday Parties

Offer Birthday Parties: No

Open daylight hours.

Address: Clifton, Penrith CA10 2EA, UK

Post Code: CA10 2EA

Council: Westmorland and Furn

County: Cumbria

  • Road Access: Next to Clifton Hall Farm; 2 miles S of Penrith, on A6.
  • Bus Access: Reay’s/Grand Prix/Kirby Lonsdale Coach Hire services 106 & Alba service 111.
  • Train Access: Penrith 2 1⁄2 miles.
  • Bicycle Access: Find this site on The National Cycle Network.
  • Parking: There is no parking available at the site. Parking is available in Clifton village where there is a small layby on the other side of the road next to the church. Please do not park at the gates to the site as this causes issues for the farm vehicles at work.  

0

0 Reviews

Rating breakdown

5
80% Complete (danger)
0
4
80% Complete (danger)
0
3
80% Complete (danger)
0
2
80% Complete (danger)
0
1
80% Complete (danger)
0

More Day Outs in Westmorland & Furness

Get the best blog stories into your inbox!